Friday Blog Roundup – 3/24/17

Welcome to the weekly blog roundup. My goal is to provide links to educational content as well as personal finance posts that I enjoyed. Check it out!Welcome to another edition of the Friday Blog Roundup.  Here I plan on sharing articles covering a specific financial topic as well as some interesting personal finance posts that I came across during the week.  I hope you enjoy!

Topic of the Week:  Tax Loss and Gain Harvesting

One of the many benefits of investing in a taxable account is the ability to perform tax loss harvesting.  While there are a number of robo-advisors that can do this for you automatically, those who invest on their own may or may not know about these money saving strategies.

My introduction to the topic of tax loss harvesting was this article by Mike Piper of The Oblivious Investor.  He talks about what tax loss harvesting is and how to perform it.  He also discusses the all-important Wash Sale Rule and provides a few illustrative examples.  A few months later he posted a related article covering the lesser known strategy of tax gain harvesting.  Be sure to check out these informative, bookmark-worthy posts.

Personal Finance Blog Roundup

Have you ever suffered from buyer’s remorse?  I have.  It certainly isn’t the greatest feeling in the world.  Well don’t you worry, because Reid over at Wealth Rehab discusses 4 ways to avoid buyer’s remorse.

Kate of Making it Rain calculated her savings rate and was pleasantly surprised.  But she’s not stopping there; she’s taking on the 1% challenge and increasing her savings rate even more.

I love reading personal finance blogs, particularly the newer ones.  That’s not surprising since I’m a new blogger myself.  One issue that I often wrestle with is how much I actually want to share and put out there.  The Millennial Boss writes about her thoughts and experiences on this subject matter as well as her evolution as a personal finance blogger.

I’m sure all of the homeowners out there have heard this before:  “Don’t pay off your mortgage too quickly or else you’ll lose out on that interest deduction.”  Chris over at Keep Thrifty has, and he’s not having it.  Read about how he fact checks the home mortgage interest deduction.

Paying off debt is hard.  Plain and simple.  The Financial Panther agrees and thinks that paying off debt is never easy.

And finally, for those out there looking for ways to pay off your debt, don’t fret.  Jacob Merkley at Power Over Life has a debt destruction plan that is just what the doctor ordered!

Thanks for checking out this week’s installment of the Friday Blog Roundup.  Until next time!!

14 thoughts on “Friday Blog Roundup – 3/24/17

• March 24, 2017 at 6:26 am

Oooh, I always love checking these out! And there are some bloggers I haven’t heard of before, so thanks for featuring them. I have some blog creeping to do now. 🙂

• March 24, 2017 at 4:22 pm

Thanks for stopping by! Yeah I’m trying to do a mix of newer blogs (like me!) and established ones. I think it provides a nice mix of content.

• March 24, 2017 at 6:46 am

Thanks for sharing SRGO – I’ll have to check out Money Boss’s post. I’m thinking of taking this blogging thing full time 🙂

• March 24, 2017 at 4:23 pm

Yes I thought her post was quite good. Best of luck with the full time blogging. It actually already feels full time to me. 🙂

Thanks for stopping by!

• March 24, 2017 at 6:56 am

Nice. We are about to have enough cash to pay off our mortgage. I’m currently leaning towards letting the mortgage ride and continuing to invest our excess cash in Vanguard index funds. I need to read what Chris at Keep Thrifty thinks.

-Stafford

• March 24, 2017 at 4:34 pm

Thanks for the comment, Stafford! I think leveraging your mortgage is a great idea, especially if you have a low interest rate locked in. But there is something to be said about being mortgage debt free. Definitely a personal decision. Thanks for stopping by!

• March 24, 2017 at 4:37 pm

Thanks for stopping by, Stuart! Hope you found some interesting reads.

• March 24, 2017 at 11:03 am

Thanks for rounding up these awesome articles, SRGO. I’ve only read two of them so far, so I have some catching up to do. I especially enjoyed Keep Thrifty’s post on the mortgage interest deduction. Thanks, again. Enjoy your weekend.

• March 24, 2017 at 4:38 pm

No problem, Cody. I too enjoyed Chris’ post. Definitely a different take on the mortgage interest deduction conversation. Have a great weekend yourself, and thanks for stopping by!

• March 25, 2017 at 3:33 pm

I love when bloggers do “roundups” like this – I always find new blogs I was previously unaware of. This is a great list, thanks for making it 🙂

• March 25, 2017 at 7:23 pm

Thanks for visiting! My plan for these Roundups are to share articles from newer blogs as well as established ones. Hope you enjoyed the content. Thanks for the comment!

• March 26, 2017 at 6:27 pm

Thanks for sharing!!! I am always excited when I see new bloggers that I’m not familiar with. I’ll over now to check it out.

• March 29, 2017 at 11:29 am

Thanks for stopping by, MSM! Yes I love checking out the newer blogs. My goal withe these Roundups is to share posts from both new-ish blogs and more established ones.

Comments are closed.