Friday Blog Roundup – 3/31/17

Welcome to the weekly blog roundup. My goal is to provide links to educational content as well as personal finance posts that I enjoyed. Check it out!Welcome to another edition of the Friday Blog Roundup. Here I plan on sharing articles covering a specific financial topic as well as some interesting personal finance posts that I came across during the week. I hope you enjoy!

Topic of the Week:  Roth Conversion Ladder and Rule 72(t)

Early retirement takes some planning. One thing you’ll need to think about is how to access funds in your retirement accounts without paying the 10% penalty. Fortunately, there are a few helpful strategies available to early retirees.

Root of Good discusses one option in their excellent post about Climbing the Roth IRA Conversion Ladder, while Retire By 40 talks about IRS Rule 72(t). And finally, the Mad Fientist summarizes these two strategies and works through a few scenarios in How to Access Retirement Funds Early.

Personal Finance Blog Roundup

One thing that bugs me is when people say they saved money by buying something on sale. But if you didn’t need it in the first place, did you really save any money? Chief Mom Officer talks about this, and more, in her post Stop Spending to Save Money – Active versus Passive Frugality.

Keeping track of your finances is important, but can you be too diligent? Do you really need to check that investment account every week, or month for that matter? Maybe not. Four Pillar Freedom explains why you should monitor your progress less often.

As an Emergency Medicine physician, it helps to have thick skin. Thank goodness I’ve developed some over the years because, as Mr. Tako Escapes explains, it’s an essential skill for early retirement.

Sometimes rules are meant to be broken… or ignored completely. Heartland Hustle shares four personal finance rules that they ignored, and maybe you should too.

This last one is for all of the bloggers out there, specifically those that use WordPress. Site security is a big deal, and no one wants to get hacked. To that end, Zero Day Finance shares some ways that you can secure your WordPress blog.

Thanks for checking out this week’s installment of the Friday Blog Roundup. Until next time!

23 thoughts on “Friday Blog Roundup – 3/31/17

• March 31, 2017 at 3:44 am

Thanks for including me! Glad you liked the article. Maybe you need to spend money to make money, but you definitely don’t need to spend money to save it! 😀

• March 31, 2017 at 4:15 pm

You’re welcome, Liz! Definitely a great distinction between active and passive frugality.

• March 31, 2017 at 6:01 am

Ugh, I can’t imagine the things you go through with your job, SRGO–I’m sure that thick skin will come mighty in handy. 😉 It’s funny, I think I like reading physician FIRE blogs because of their “back off, bub” attitude. I love itttt.

• March 31, 2017 at 4:17 pm

Yes having a thick skin is helpful in the ER, especially when the intoxicated, belligerent patients show up. At least I’ll be well-prepared for early retirement! 🙂

• March 31, 2017 at 6:32 am

Wow! I am humbled and honored to be included among such an amazing list of personal finance bloggers (none of which should be ignored!) thanks for including me Some Random Guy!!

• March 31, 2017 at 4:19 pm

You’re welcome, Amy. I’ve ignored a couple of personal finance rules myself. 🙂

• March 31, 2017 at 6:45 am

I always enjoy reading up on the IRA conversion ladder as it is something I plan to implement in the near future. Thanks for the post!

• March 31, 2017 at 4:22 pm

Same here. It’s a great way to access your 401k/traditional IRA funds early. It also can be used to decrease your pre-tax nest egg and lower future RMDs. Thanks for stopping by!

• March 31, 2017 at 4:23 pm

Thanks, Cody! There are just so many great PF blogs and articles out there! Sometimes it’s tough to pick just a handful. Enjoy your weekend as well!!

• April 2, 2017 at 10:26 pm

No problem, Mr. Tako! Thanks for stopping by!

• April 1, 2017 at 8:02 pm

Thanks for including my blog in your weekly round up. I hope that I’ve helped secure some blogs!

• April 2, 2017 at 4:14 pm

And thank you for writing about an important but often overlooked topic.

• Pingback: Dollar Habits' Money Mash-up (4/8/17)

• April 10, 2017 at 3:07 pm

Nice round up. I was hoping to read the article about checking your investments less, but it seems like a broken link. That topic was actually the very first article I wrote on my own blog, three months ago (!)

• April 11, 2017 at 1:25 pm

Thanks for stopping by, WSP! And thanks for the heads up on the broken link… it’s been fixed!

• April 14, 2017 at 12:33 pm

Thanks for visiting, Francesca! Site security is often overlooked by bloggers. Hopefully you’ll find that post useful.

• April 13, 2017 at 3:49 pm

Thanks for sharing your round up!!! There are so many great bloggers out there that I always miss an article or two 🙂

• April 14, 2017 at 12:35 pm

Thanks for checking it out, MSM!